All Durham Furniture pieces are made from sustainably harvested solid wood at our plant in the Town of Durham, Ontario, Canada. Durham (population 2,500) is nestled amid rolling hills, forests and farms, along the Saugeen River about 150 kilometres (93 miles) north of Toronto.
Why Durham Furniture? Because it’s made to last … beautifully
Durham Furniture takes great pride in creating 100% solid wood furniture from maple and cherry. (There are absolutely no veneers or particle board in our products)
Solid cherry is one of Nature’s wonders. It has lovely grain definition and stains magnificently. Choose from deep, rich, dark tones for traditional or transitional styles or natural looks for eclectic or contemporary designs.
Solid maple is prized for its hardness, strength and great character. Durham Furniture’s warm finishes are a favourite that adds charm and comfort to any room.
Solid ash, known as the “wood of the Gods” in ancient Greece, is strong and supple and is used for the interior structural components of Durham Furniture pieces.
Sustainability & Compliance
At Durham Furniture, we believe in doing the right thing.
When you buy our solid wood furniture, you can be assured that it is produced in an environmentally sustainable and ethical way. Durham Furniture builds solid wood furniture to last for generations with lumber from replenishing North American forests. And we continually strive to measure and improve our environmental performance and reduce our ecological footprint.
Durham Furniture’s commitment to sustainable production is acknowledged by the following third-party certifications:
- Sustainable Furnishings Council – Silver Exemplary Corporate Member
- California Air Resources Board Compliance (CARB) – all Durham Furniture products meet and exceed the CARB 2 compliance requirements of the State of California and TSCA VI compliant.
Durham Furniture is also committed to providing a safe and ethical workplace, and promoting a sustainable community. Our Social Equity Code of Conduct (which extends to our suppliers as well), includes the following principles:
- Provide proper wages and working conditions for employees
- Use sustainable practices in acquiring all products
- Develop a continuous improvement program for environmental practices
- Have a strong commitment to health and safety for employees and their communities
We believe in supporting and being a socially responsible member of our community.
- We have set up a liaison committee made of local Durham residents to communicate what we are doing to protect the environment and make living conditions in and around the plant continuously better. To read more regarding our Sustainability Commitments click here.
- Durham Furniture meets the requirements of the Toxic Reductions Act (TRA) and Ontario Regulations 455/09 pertaining to the people and the environment by reducing the use and emission of toxic substances. Our TRA Public Annual Reports and Public Report of Plan Summaries can be found here.